Monday, January 16, 2012

The Words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Have Lasting Meaning

Passionate man of wisdom
     For most people, the mention of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. brings to mind his "I have a dream..." speech.  While not wishing to diminish this powerful speech, I think it is important to be reminded of some of the other things he said.  As I enjoy this 3 day weekend, I want to remember to think a little about what made Martin Luther King, Jr. such a  timeless and pivotal leader.
Here are 10 quotes you may not be familiar with, but are worthy of a little attention:


1. Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.


2. We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.


3. The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.


4.  If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry.  He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of Heaven and Earth will pause to say, 'here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well'.


5.  Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.  Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.  Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it.


6.  The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.


7.  Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.


8.  That old law about "an eye for an eye" leaves everybody blind.  The time is always right to do the right thing.


9.  I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners, will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.


10.  Life most urgent question is:  What are you doing for others?


     On that note, I will endeavor to instill these worthy sentiments into the hearts of my children, discussing the importance of working hard, finding ways to help our fellow humans whenever we can (and even when we think we can't), and being brave enough to stand up for what is right no matter what the consequence.  I will try to incorporate these ideals into my own daily life as well.   Thought for today: Less relaxing...more doing!




No comments:

Post a Comment


Steppin' out with my sweetie

About Me

Happy housewife, mother of four daughters and lover of the holidays/seasons, goes a long way to describe me. I want to share some of my thoughts and experiences as the seasons roll by. Hope you share some of my passions! Con mucho gusto! Holiday Mamasita Lauren Smith Goss