Thursday, November 10, 2011

Harvest Table Recipes

Roasted Pork Loin
-serves 6 healthy eaters
2-3 lb. pork loins, butterflied (ask your butcher to do this for you)
1 stick unsalted butter
8 celery stalks cleaned and diced
1 med. sweet onion diced
1 med apple (I used gala) peeled ans sliced into small pieces
kosher salt
pepper
ground sage
dried thyme
beef bouillon (I use Better Than Bouillon, found in most grocery stores with the other bouillon)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Melt butter in a medium sauce pan, being careful not to burn it.  Add celery and onion and cook till soft, then add apple and cook until slightly browned.  Remove from heat and add 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper & thyme and 1-11/2 tsp. ground sage.  Set aside.  Lay out pork loins on cutting board and liberally salt and pepper top surface of meat.  Stuff the pork loin with apple mixture lengthwise, roll it up, jellyroll style and tie with cooking string every couple of inches.  Repeat with other roast.  Set roasts on a lightly greased sheet pan. (I recommend using a backing rack, if you have one.) Liberally cover meat with beef bouillon.  About 2 tbsp  for each roast.  Roast @ 425 degrees for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees for 20 minutes more.  Remove from oven and wrap meat in foil for at least 15 minutes.
Make red wine reduction.

Red Wine Reduction
Remove pork loin from roasting pan, wrap in foil and set aside.  Deglaze pan over a medium heat by pouring 1 cup good red wine, (I used Chalk Hill Cabernet Sauvignon), into pan scraping up all the little bits stuck to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.  I like to transfer the contents into a smaller pan, at this point, cooking constantly to reduce by half.

Meanwhile, slice pork into medallions and place on a serving platter, pouring wine reduction over the meat.  Yum!

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
5 lbs. Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and quartered
1 stick butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
salt and pepper

Cover potatoes with water in a stock pot, adding 1 tsp. salt.  Boil until fork tender.  Drain water.  Cut butter into pieces and add to potatoes.  Using a hand mixer, mix while adding warmed buttermilk.  Whip to desired consistency and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve

Homemade Applesauce
6 assorted apples (I used Gala)
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
Peel, core and dice apples and place in heavy sauce pan.  Add rest of ingredients and cook and stir until mushy.  Remove cinnamon stick and enjoy.

Arugula Salad compliments of Pam Abkin
4 cups organic arugula (I make it easy by buying it bagged at Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup slivered and toasted almonds
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Trader Joe's Balsamic Dressing
Toss together and enjoy.




2 comments:

  1. I just might have to save these jewels if I ever decide to cook! I love your blog it's cozy and smart just the way I like my men. Did things just get weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seabury, thanks for the clever quip and the loving sentiments. You are the best! It reminds me of one of my favorite lines from It's a Wonderful Life..."I was saving this money for a divorce, if ever I got me a husband!" XXOO!!

    ReplyDelete


Steppin' out with my sweetie

About Me

Happy housewife, mother of four daughters and lover of the holidays/seasons, goes a long way to describe me. I want to share some of my thoughts and experiences as the seasons roll by. Hope you share some of my passions! Con mucho gusto! Holiday Mamasita Lauren Smith Goss