Sunday, November 20, 2011

Party Throwing Stress Relievers

  Here we are again, smack dab in the middle of another holiday season.  Thanksgiving's less than a week away...does that make your heart palpitate? It does mine. It's time to remind myself to focus on what this is all about, to live in the moment and to have a generous heart.  Breathe.  Whenever I am gearing up for a big party or gathering, I always start to panic a little bit as the event draws nearer.  I start to worry about the cob webs I saw in the living room corner last month and still haven't removed, or the stack of papers and books on the desk in the kitchen, that still need going through, ahhh! I still haven't frosted the cake and darn it why didn't I clean the laundry room last week when I still had some time? Every undone thing starts to loom large,  and I wonder if anyone else in the family gives a crap if it all comes together.  After my usual, mini- breakdown,  I get a hold of myself, remembering that it's all about the spirit of the gathering, the welcome we show our guests and the joy of getting together.  About that time, my family kicks in with their usual help, the last of the messes and piles of junk get jammed into some cupboard or closet, we light the candles and turn on the music and the house miraculously comes together.  
    The same will be true on Thanksgiving day.  It will all come together with our concerted effort. We'll set up the tables, and somehow figure out how to fit 30 people into the screened-in porch (how'd we do it last year?), cram one too many people at the table, send the kids out to collect leaves and branches and possibly even some nuts to decorate the table with ( & more than likely a few dirt clods ), place the name tags, fetch the chairs from every recess, put the food on and we'll gather round the table once again.  One way or another, it will happen.  
    Over the years, and after throwing many a party, I have come up with a couple of steps to help relieve some of the stress and ensure a good outcome.  You still might need to scramble up until the last minute, but with these things done you'll have a good head start and a little peace of mind.


1. Keep the menu simple.  Make things you are comfortable with.  A platter if sliced cheese and crackers or tortilla chips and salsa, go a long way as an appetizer and are an excellent stand by if you are in a time crunch.    Make anything you can, ahead.
2. Have a drink table set up.  If you are using glass stemware (a great way to add some charm to any get together) wash and dry them, removing water spots, and place on a tray or nice tea towel.  If you are using plastic, stack up the cups.  Make sure to have water and some other non-alcoholic beverages to offer your guests and   something for the kids.  
If you have #'s 1 & 2 done, voil'a, it's a party! Everything else is just icing on the cake, so to speak!
3. Tea lights, votives, tapers, fairy lights, cafe lights or any other type of mood lighting set the stage.  Place them early and tell someone else to light them, if possible, on d-day.
4. Make a party play list or pick out some CD's, records, cassettes or whatever you like and have it lined up ready to go. (My kids usually do this for me, another reason I like having lots of kids!)  Music can be more important than food! So pick some good ones.  No pressure.
5. And this is the most important one...Offer a sincere and heartfelt welcome to your guests and relax and enjoy yourself.  It's more important to be pleasant than perfect.

     I hope these tips help you to pull off a low stress, fun-filled get together this holiday season.  (I hope they work for us, too!)




      

No comments:

Post a Comment


Steppin' out with my sweetie

About Me

Happy housewife, mother of four daughters and lover of the holidays/seasons, goes a long way to describe me. I want to share some of my thoughts and experiences as the seasons roll by. Hope you share some of my passions! Con mucho gusto! Holiday Mamasita Lauren Smith Goss